I forgot to post about this.
Over the summer, I was standing at the service desk trying to untangle a mass of spider wraps when a pair of customers walked in the front door “do you know that your cigarette butt holder thing is on fire??” I’m thinking ok, so there’s a little smoke coming out the top, not a big deal, and walk outside to look.
Yah, it wasn’t a little smoke coming out the top.
Call a manager “hey, the cigarette butt holder outside the main entrance is on fire, like, I can see the flames on fire”. “Can you toss a bottle of water on it?” “Well, I can, but I’m pretty sure it’s way beyond that point……”
Walk back inside, grab the fire extinguisher right inside the door, and put out the fire.
It’s easy enough to figure out what happened. Customers are constantly using it as a trash can, tossing receipts and other paper in it. Then someone tossed in a lit butt.
By the time the customer alerted me to it the fire had not only melted the plastic, it was burning the melted plastic.