So today I decided to make some bone & marrow broth out of the insane number of buffalo marrow bones I have stuffed away in my freezer.
Get out the pressure canner, its been stored on the top shelf of a closet so that I don’t have to worry about anything being set on it.
Load it up, turn it on. It starts dripping around the edge of the seal, but it always does that, it stops when it gets up to pressure….
Except this time its not stopping. The canner appears to reach pressure ok, but even after 10 minutes its still dripping and burping steam around the edge of the lid.
Turn off the stove, release the pressure, let it cool. Pull out the gasket, clean it and the lid, oil the gasket, put it all back together, turn the canner lid around so that its not lined up the same way (this is ok with this canner, I understand with some thats not possible) and try again. The gasket’s only a year old…..
It does it again.
Dig out the spare extra gasket I ordered when I got the last one (cause this canner uses a funky sized gasket so I ordered extra). Replace the “old” gasket, set back up the canner……
Its still doing it.
This time I let it sit for 20 minutes, and realize that its not maintaining pressure correctly. Apparently the lack of seal is indeed bad enough to affect the pressure.
Pull out the new gasket, clean pan lip, lid, and gasket, oil gasket, try again.