• Category Archives Nothing Much
  • Does anyone know how to contact

    The person who blogs at : Total Survivalist Libertarian Bitch Fest?  She’s been hacked.  I’ve had repeated issues over the last few months with her blog, random java loads and the like (I left a comment to that effect at one point too), but this morning her page flat out WILL NOT LOAD properly, it re-directs EVERY time to fake downloads for Java and Flash.  I can’t even leave a comment to let her know, much less figure out how else to contact her.  And her’s is the ONLY page I’m having issues with, and yes I’ve run full scans here anyway just to be safe….

  • Spring!

    IMGA2970a IMGA2971a IMGA2974a



    The Osprey are back:




    And the ice melting on the pool (just cause it was a cool picture):




    I spotted these deer in a field a few roads over a couple weeks ago, they weren’t pleased to see me though!




    My little greenhouse got blown over in the gusting winds a few nights ago.  Looks like most of the plants will survive the experience, but several of the peppers lost their tags…..I’ll be planting those peppers in a mixed group together rather than try to guess I think.  Oh well.

  • This time at least it wasn’t unexpected

    I got up this morning to find an email from my mother, time-stamped just after 1am EST this morning.

    My Grandmother died last night, at, or shortly before, midnight local time (Houston TX).

    She’s been failing for years, and my Grandfather’s death hit her hard.  Saturday my Mom got a call that Grandma wasn’t eating, and Sunday she flew down.  Doctors think she had a TIA, and as of Tuesday she was only barely eating, barely acknowledging people, and not recognizing those she did acknowledge.  The Hospice folks were of the opinion that she might linger for a couple weeks.  Personally I’m glad she didn’t, starvation isn’t a pleasant way to go, even if you are out of it.

    We’re not sure yet if I’ll be flying down for this funeral or not.  I said my goodbyes back in January to be honest, though I’d hoped she might hang on for me to drag my Husband down for a visit later this spring.

  • Common Spring!

    Monday and Tuesday the weather was absolutely gorgeous.  No jacket required lovely.  Snow was melting everywhere.

    Yesterday, Wednesday I woke up to rain that was rapidly turning to snow.

    By the time we snow-blowed the driveway, about 5pm, we were pushing a foot of wet nasty heavy snow.  The kind that gives people heart attacks trying to shovel it.

    I haven’t checked the official snow-fall totals yet, but I’m betting for a solid foot here at least.

    Right now my thermometer says its 8 degrees outside.

    I want my garden!

  • aww fuck

    I would very greatly appreciate everyone’s good will, well wishes, healing prayers, and healing vibes sent toward a friend of mine who I’ve never met in person. She’s the owner of a lovely Tibetan Mastiff bitch, and over the last couple years has become a wonderful friend.

    She was just diagnosed this week with stage III Small Cell lung cancer, and has been admitted to the hospital for an “infection”, type unstated, but it appears to involve her lungs. She expects to be in the hospital till Sunday, and starts chemo on Monday.

    Did I mention that 2014 is not the New Year I wanted and I’m demanding a refund and a new New Year?

  • Spam comments

    I’ve added an additional plugin thats supposed to help sort out spam comments.  

    In theory it shouldn’t affect you all, especially if you’ve commented here before.

    However if you discover you are having trouble commenting, or that your comment isn’t showing up on the blog in a reasonable period of time please send me an email, the email address is under the “About Me” tab at the top.  


  • Photos update

    Not much has been going on here, but I’ve gotten some photos to share.

    This past Saturday I made a trip down to the local buffalo farm to pick up some meat for us and bones for the dogs.  While I was there their youngest calf (she was born in Oct, WAY late) and her momma wandered up to the fence line and they were kinda enough to allow me to go down to the line myself to snatch some photos.






    And I attempted to get some closeups of snowflakes.  I don’t really have the right equipment for this, but they turned out ok anyway.  If you click through to the big version, and then click to zoom in you can see all sorts of detail.





    And a sunset from a couple weeks ago.




    And the dogs enjoying the snow.




    A full moon.



    And this juvi Red-tailed hawk was kind enough to soar slowly over so I could get several pictures.




    And more birds at the feeders.




  • COLD!!!!



    I know, if there’s any Canadians reading this they’re laughing at me.  I don’t care.  -15 at 8am is fricking COLD by my book.  But hey, the pipes aren’t frozen this time!

    Arty thinks this cold was designed just to torture him.

    Apollo wants to go roll around in the snow some more and what do you mean you won’t let me spend all day out here??

  • We have water!

    Actually we had water as of about 1pm yesterday, but I was in TX for my Grandfather’s funeral and so wasn’t able to post.  The section that froze is where the meter is on the pipe, and below that where it enters the ground.  The meter was shot, split right down the back.  The water guy agreed that it looked like the heat tape thats supposed to keep that from happening had failed (it was old when we bought the house).  So new heat tape was bought, and after the new meter was put on a propane torch was applied to the lower section of pipe (which required doing some digging *sigh*), and water ran!  

    The pipe was wrapped with new heat tape, and additional insulation to hopefully prevent it from happening again…..